The Needles Old Battery
Between 1861 and 1895, a fortification was built at the western end of the Isle of Wight to guard the approaches to the Solent and Portsmouth Harbour against the threat of a French invasion. The Needles Battery played an important role in coastal defence during two World Wars. Between 1956 and 1971 the location was used for rocket testing before it was turned over to the National Trust as a tourist attraction.
|This image is copyright and may not be used without specific authorization. Permission is explicitly denied for Pinterest.|